Category Archives: Kitchen
As mentioned in the last post, we finally got around to getting our subway tile backsplash up.
It took us about 9 hours that weekend to (nearly) finish everything–cutting tiles, placing tiles, and putting in grout. Sadly, we ran out of grout at the very end with a little over 1 square foot left. That small area will be finished very soon.
A couple pictures of what it looks like now:
And just to show how far the kitchen has come since last year, this is what it used to look like:
Since the kitchen is closer to being finished and has been cleaned up a little, last night we got to actually cook the first meal in the kitchen! (Warming up a frozen pizza in the oven doesn’t count.) A few pictures were taken of the now usable kitchen:
Cutting onions on the butcher block countertop
Cooking on Gas cooktop
Ready to eat–while sitting at the table!
Mashed potatoes, onions, and sausage–Yum!
Big news of the weekend: After spending all afternoon working on this, the new refrigerator is finally in the kitchen! It was quite a complicated process to make this happen. The doorway from the living room to the kitchen is 30 inches wide. The depth of the refrigerator without doors or anything else sticking out is 29 inches. We had to remove the refrigerator doors and remove part of what the freezer door is anchored to on the bottom. As if disassembling the fridge and getting it into the kitchen wasn’t enough, we then had to piece it all back together.
Two other things finished this weekend as well–the red dining room chairs and moving the butcher block upstairs!
The butcher block weighs at least 200 pounds, so it wasn’t something that one person could move up the stairs alone (or the boy + girl could do–the girl doesn’t have enough muscles for this). A friend came over to help move it up the stairs, prepare the counter base to have the butcher block screwed in, and put the butcher block on top of the base (with screws holding it in place).
The red paint on the chairs was finished a few days ago and just needed a clear coat. We tried putting a clear coat on it a few days ago, but it just brushed off like dust when it dried–it didn’t seem to stick to the red paint at all. So, we went to buy some more clear gloss paint (same brand) to try and it worked this time!
The list of things to finish in the kitchen and dining room is getting smaller and it is actually starting to look more like a usable room.
This weekend, the remainder of the tile was cut and laid and grout was put in. Now that the kitchen/dining room floor is finished, we can now start the process of making it look a little more like a room instead of a storage/work space. We also found a glass table on craigslist and went to look at it today–should be able to pick it up and move it over here in a couple days. We didn’t have to go far to get it either–just .8 miles away in Crestwood North. The dining room chairs are closer to being ready, so maybe in the next few days the dining room will be ready to have pictures posted.
Paint progress–All doors and trim in the hallway and hall bathroom have been painted white. The only thing left to paint is the door in the dining room and touch ups of gray in the hallway. There are a couple other painting projects that need to be done at some point, but those will wait a little while longer.
We’ve briefly mentioned the Gunlocke chairs in the living room before, and we thought it was about time to actually show them to you. These were the chairs where we bought one (the brown one) from a local modern furniture seller then, a couple weeks later, happened to find one just like it (though green) at What’s on 2nd?
If you would like to help out the Crestwood community, please consider donating to my friend’s kickstarter program to provide a bi-monthly newsletter to the crestwood area. She is the founder of the35212 and has been a very strong supporter of our community and its residents.
The tile is down and ready to be grouted. Dog is excited to have tile floors to help him stay cool. He also enjoys trying to eat spacers, which has been a minor inconvenience.
The original linen wallpaper has also been removed from the master bathroom. After hearing horror stories about removing wallpaper, we were a little worried about how difficult it might be to get it off and had been discussing the possibility of painting on top of it. Just out of curiosity, we decided to try to peel a little piece of it off from around the window. To our surprise, it came off pretty easily. 10 minutes later, we had all the wallpaper down! Now we just have to get the 50 year old glue removed from the walls and prep for paint. After removing the wallpaper, moving the bathroom mats out of the way, and pushing the curtain out of the way, we also realized that the bathroom tile wasn’t nearly as pink as we originally thought.
Not quite as exciting, the white paint has been finished on the doors and trim in the hallway and primer has been put on the door and trim on the inside of the hall bathroom. The hall bathroom shows the biggest improvement from this–it used to be yellow.
Next on the agenda–subway tile backsplash
As of Saturday, 225 square feet of backerboard is finished and ready for the tile to be put down. The humans are happy to be finished with this. The dog is happy too, since we are one step closer to him being able to roam the house while he’s at home alone. He’s also looking forward to more surface to slide around on.
Also…notice the white cabinets. Two layers of primer + two layers of Behr Premium Plus Ultra (Ultra Pure White) + some touch ups = they actually look white now!